Colourful and sculptural, my new porcelain pots are designed as one-off artefacts which retain their basic function. The jugs, while suggesting natural forms, have a variety of distinctive handles - Ensuring that each one is an individual figurative presence.
Work generally available from:
- My own potstore at Rectory Cottage, Harkstead, Ipswich IP9 IDE (Tel. 01473 787587)
- Gallery 2, The Town Hall Galleries, Ipswich IP1 1DH (Tel. 01473 432865)
- The Gallery, Snape Maltings, Snape, Saxmundham IP17 1SR (Tel. 01728 688305)
- Romany Studio, Tunstall, IP12 2JE
- Cavern 4, 85 Whiting Street, Bury St. Edmumds IP33 1NX
- Riverside Art & Glass, The Bridge, 24 Norwich Road, Wroxham, Norfolk NR12 8RX. (Tel:01603 784 000) www.riversideartandglass.co.uk Info@riversideartandglass.co.uk
- RE + new Limited, 63a Thoroughfare, Woodbridge IP12 1AH. Tel. 01394 386314
- Orford Craft Shop, Front street, Orford IP12 2 LX. Tel. 01394 450678
Open Studio - Rectory Cottage : Usch Spettigue - Open Studio
December 03, 2016 to December 11, 2016
Electric Kiln, 1260°c, single fired.
Usch Spettigue was born in Germany and settled in England in 1963 with her English husband. She started making hand-built pottery while studying languages in Munich and went back to the craft full-time in 1973. She established her own studio at Harkstead in 1975. Since then she has exhibited widely in East Anglia, as well as in London, the West Country, York and Germany.
Her pots are all thrown, she now works only in porcelain and only does stoneware for specific commissions. Some of her pots are decorated with sgraffito,
inlay or wax resist. Creative use of slips and glazes on different clays
vary texture and colour. At present she is also concentrating on pure
form with a variety of large jugs and spherical pots with inturned tops.
Some of these pots are carved when they are in a leather-hard state to
give a deeply grooved surface.
She is a selected member of the Anglian Potters Association and of the Suffolk Craft Society.